Disclaimer: I received a FREE copy of this product through the HOMESCHOOL REVIEW CREW in exchange for my honest review. I was not required to write a positive review nor was I compensated in any other way.
What is AIM?
Accelerated Individualized Mastery (AIM) for Addition and Subtraction is a program developed by Math-U-See. It is designed as a supplemental program for older students, ages 8-16. Students struggling with gaps in their foundational skills set. AIM helps build a stronger foundation in basic concepts of math skills. Exercises strengthen needed skills and reinforce concepts.
BE SURE TO PIN FOR LATER
Accelerated Individualized Mastery (AIM) for Addition and Subtraction
- Accelerated- the student moves quickly through a skill set they have not yet mastered.
- Individualized- each student is unique which is why this program lets the student self-pace in order to master the skills they need.
- Mastery- a student can recall all math facts without using a lot of mental energy for problem-solving.
Materials included in the AIM
Accelerated Individualized Mastery (AIM) Resources:
- Resource Guide Step-by-step guide that includes the techniques, components, and instruction for presenting fact strategies and practicing for mastery.
- Integer Blocks Proven Math-U-See manipulatives illustrate strategies and are integrated within the instructional materials
- Colored Pencils Pencils aligned to the color of the integer blocks to help students transition from using the manipulatives
- Fact Check Cards Set of cards used for planning instruction and assessing mastery
- Math Facts Strategy Posters Individual posters illustrating the Math-U-See addition strategies
- Digital Pack Your single location for all the online and downloadable resources. This includes the AIM for Success Videos that highlight the key concepts and components that make up the AIM program.
How we Used Aim
My 12 years old struggles with basic addition and subtraction facts. Sometimes, I see him still counting on his fingers. I hoped this program may help him with a quicker recall of the math facts. Before beginning the program I had him the AIM Verbal Assessment.
The assessment provides an understanding of what basic addition and subtraction facts that my son knows. However, my son sometimes becomes anxious during evaluations. I did my best to create a stress-free environment for him. We took a break after two minutes for effective results. I verbally asked him each math fact. Then I recorded the correct answer was given.
Once we received the program. my son watched the videos and used the manipulatives to complete the activities. We also used the flashcards to check his understanding. The step by step lesson instruction provided along with strategies for assessment made teaching easy. There are also samples of all activities and guidance on each step.
The AIM program helped my son gain confidence that he lacks due to his dyslexia. He struggles and with math. The AIM program gave him a new strategy to successfully solve simple facts and will help him work more complex math problems as he continues through math.
AIM is a super easy, quick program to use with your child. You can use it as an addition to any math curriculum. The videos, manipulatives, and math facts strategy posters are of high quality. One thing that I didn’t like was the quality of the flashcards. They could be more durable. I don’t know how they will hold up with multiple students. However, laminating them to extend the life of the flashcards.
In the future, I plan to use this program with some of my other children. I see them struggling with basic math facts. The visual use of the blocks gives children a new, unique way to look at math strategies. The program is well organized and easy to use. I recommend to other families who struggle with basic addition and subtraction facts.
Check out what other homeschool families are saying about Math-U-See’s AIM program.