Are you looking for a low carb alternative to Au Gratin potatoes? My husband and I try to follow a low carb diet, but we both love potatoes. I developed this delicious Au Gratin Cauliflower recipe to satisfy our potato cravings.
Another benefit, I like about this recipe is that it utilizes extra cream from our milk cow. I utilize extra cream in many ways, such as making butter, whipped cream, and coffee creamer. Even with using the cream in these ways, I still have extra cream. You can read about more ways to use extra milk here.
If you have read any of my other recipes, you know that I love substitutions in recipes. Confession time: I do not enjoy grocery shopping, so I become very creative with substitutions in recipes, so I do not have to go to the grocery store. There are many substitutions that can be made in this recipe.
If you do not have fresh cauliflower, you can substitute a bag of frozen cauliflower florets. No need to thaw the cauliflower ahead of time.
If you do not have cheddar cheese, you may substitute your favorite shredded cheese. I like cheddar because of the bold flavor, but I usually have mozzarella on hand and have used it several times. Pepper Jack adds a spicy flavor.
I use Parmesan cheese from the green can, but freshly grated Parmesan cheese would be delicious. Another fresh ingredient that I have substituted is garlic. I either chop it very fine or crush it in a garlic press. You could also substitute real bacon in place of the bacon bits. The extra work is worth the extra yumminess.
I hope you enjoy this Au Gratin Cauliflower Recipe. It is approved for many low carb diet plans such as Keto, Trim Healthy Mama (S). This simple and fast side dish pairs well with almost any meat dish. I often serve it with a tossed salad, as well.
Au Gratin Cauliflower
- 1 Head Cauliflower, cut into pieces
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 3/4 Cup Cheddar cheese, grated Divided 1/2 cup, 1/4 cup
- 1 Cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 Tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 Tsp Black pepper
- 1 Tsp Garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp Bacon bits
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place cauliflower into a medium casserole dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients to make a sauce, except 1/4 cup cheese and bacon bits. Stir to combine.
- Pour sauce evenly over cauliflower.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, stir, and continue baking uncovered for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Immediately top hot cauliflower with bacon bits and remaining shredded cheese. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.